The Institute of Welsh Affairs, in partnership with Capital Law, are holding a half-day conference entitled “Doing business in Wales: The changing landscape”.
The event will consider the implications of the 5th Assembly for business and aim to discuss and explore the perceived obstacles to doing business in Wales.
Opening with Sion Barry in conversation with a Welsh Government representative as keynote speaker, the event will also feature breakout sessions on the impact of tax raising powers, city regions, the Planning Act and Environment Bill, and Welsh language standards.
Through open discussion with key industry professionals, this event will get to the heart of the perceived barriers to investment and explore opportunities for growth in Wales.
08:45 – 09:30 Registration
09.30 – 09.35 Chair (Elin Pinnell, Managing Partner, Capital Law) to open Conference
09:35 – 09.45 Opening plenary session (Ken Skates, Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Infrastructure)
09.45 – 10.45 Sion Barry, Business Editor, Western Mail in conversation with Ken Skates, Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Infrastructure)
10.45 – 11.15 Coffee break
11.15 – 11.55 Breakout sessions:
Breakout 1: Planning Act and Environmental Bill
– Speaker: Dr. Emyr Roberts, Chief Executive, Natural Resources Wales
– Speaker: Mark Hand, Head of Planning, Monmouthshire County Council
– Chair: Chris Sutton, Chair, CBI Wales
Breakout 2: Welsh language standards: killing the myth
– Speaker: Bethan Webb, Deputy Director, Welsh Language Division, Welsh Government
– Chair: Iestyn Morris, Partner, Capital Law
11.55 – 12.00 Movement to next breakout session
12.00 – 12.40 Breakout sessions:
Breakout 3: Fiscal powers
– Speaker: Gerald Holtham, Managing Partner, Cadwyn Capital LLC
– Speaker: Lynn Pamment, Partner, PwC
-Chair: Ed Gareth Poole, Lecturer in Politics, Wales Governance Centre at Cardiff University
Breakout 4: Impact of City Regions
– Speaker: Ann Beynon, Chair, Cardiff Capital City Region
– Speaker: Steve Phillips, Secretary, Swansea Bay City Region
-Chair: Chris Nott
12.40 – 12.45 Close of Conference
– Helen Molyneux to close Conference in breakout session
– Chris Nott to close Conference in breakout session
12:45 – 14:00 Networking lunch and departures