The debate on whether Newport should follow the lead of Bristol and have a directly elected mayor as a figurehead for its residents has been a cause for much recent discussion.
In this event, jointly hosted by the Newport Civic Society and Institute of Welsh Affairs, key figures will argue both sides of the governance debate.
Jennifer Mills from the South Wales Argus will chair the debate
Speaking in favour of a mayor:
- Rob Southall, Chairman of Gwent branch of IWA
- Cllr Chris Evans, Newport City Councillor
- Nick Webb, co-Chairman of Newport Civic Society
Speaking against an elected mayor:
- Prof Russell Deacon, Gwent College
- Kevin Ward, Editor of South Wales Argus
- Canon Rev’d Andrew Willie, co-Chairman of Newport Civic Centre
This event is free to attend.