The IWA Debates are an events series from Wales’ leading independent think tank. Each event will focus on a current area of debate where there is no clear consensus. The debate will pit two leading figures together to brief the audience on an important issue and explore the key points of contention. The series is sponsored by Aberystwyth University and each event will be followed by a networking reception.
Inward investment is seen as a key driver of Wales’ economy, and much focus goes into attracting leading businesses to the nation. The world’s eyes have been on Wales as it hosted the NATO summit, and some have seen this as a way of marketing the country and giving inward investment a fresh push, but is this what we really need? Would a local economic development approach actually enhance Wales’ economy further?
The confirmed speakers who will come together to debate this contentious topic are:
- Dr. James Medway – Senior Economist, New Economics Foundation
- Prof. Max Munday – Director, Welsh Economy Research Unit, Cardiff University .
- Prof. Dave Adamson – Chief Executive, CREW Regeneration and co-author of the recent deep place study on Tredegar
- Chris Sutton – Chairman, CBI Wales
- (Chair) Elizabeth Haywood – Former Chair of the City Regions Task & Finish Group